THE ACT OF ENTERTAINMENT
Entertainment is a form of activity that holds the attention and interest of an audience or gives pleasure and delight. Entertainment here refers to hosting of guest in terms of food service during ceremonial occasions like wedding, house warming parties, burial, birthday etc. in any entertainment the co-operation of the host/hostess and the guest matters a lot for the success of the occasion.
BEING A GOOD HOST/HOSTESS
A host or hostess is a male or female who receives or entertains the invited guest. A good host/hostess to ensure the satisfaction of his guest, he/she must plan ahead.
Entertainment for guest should be planned in such a way that the host or hostess as well as the guests enjoy it. Planning must therefore ensure the convenience of host and the satisfaction of the guests.
GUIDELINES FOR PLANNING AHEAD
The host will decide on the following during planning:
- Entertainment pattern: that is whether it is buffet, dinner, cocktail etc.
- Number of the guest: they should decide on the number of guest to be invited based on money available, accommodation available, serving items etc.
- Food: the type of delicious food and assorted drinks to be served.
- Attractive setting: the host/hostess should plan an attractive setting for the party. This involves the sitting arrangements, lightening and decorations.
- Varied attraction: varied attractions inform of fun speeches, riddles and jokes and different kinds of music should be provided.
- The date and time of the occasion.
- The nature of the venue: that is whether it is in the field or hall.
- Security measures of reception venue: the host should provide securities that will protect his/her guests.
- The nature of invitation: whether formal with invitation card or informal (oral invitation).
(10)Comprehensive shopping list: the host should make a detailed shopping list. This will enable him/her stick to the items to be bought.
Invitation is divided into two: formal or informal invitation. When either of the two invitations is written, a response from the invitee should also come.
Formal invitation is often by cards while informal ones may be by verbal or by telephone. A complete invitation letter regardless of its form should include the following:
- The name of the host/hostess
- The type of event
- The date
- Time and place of party
- The name of the guest.
EXAMPLE OF INVITATION CARD
Dear Mrs. Obetta-Ikenna,
Thank you for the invitation. SS 2 students accept with pleasure the kind invitation for the birthday of your child on 16th October, 2020 at 2.00pm.
A formal invitation requires a formal response as follows:
If they cannot come, they would probably say “we regret that we are unable to come”.
GUIDELINES FOR SENDING OUT INVITATION CARDS
- Time: an invitation should reach the invitees at least two weeks before ceremony.
- The invitation card should be very attractive in order to attract the invitees to read thoroughly the date, venue and time.
- Nature of the event: the invitation should be in keeping with the nature of the event of whether dinner, buffet.
- Dress code: indicate the dress code and colour of the day
- To prevent misunderstanding, the response should be in keeping with the invitation and should usually repeat venue, day and time.
- Design your wedding invitation card
- Test interpretation: A strict vegetarian friend is coming to visit to you. Prepare four dishes to show that you understand her needs.
- Calculate your Body Mass Index and interpret your result.
Recommended text books
- fundamentals of Foods and Nutrition for Senior Secondary Schools by Gloria Okafor (2011)
- Food and Nutrition for Senior Secondary Schools 1-3 by Olusanya et al. (1992)